When you're cleaning up and you hear the kids coming so you shove the rice krispie treat you're eating down your shirt because you don't want to A. Share, B. Explain why you can have one and they can't, or C. Really interact with the kids at all during Rice Krispie Cleaning Time. It's a special time in a mother’s life.
This got us thinking, the Treat Yo’ Self movement may have all the 20-something Insta-singles ‘gramming about the crystal-infused unicorn soap they just splurged on at the hipster farmer’s market or the Thai ice cream rolls they’re feeding to their French bulldogs by the seashore. But we mamas? We have a different understanding. Take a look at our most lavish indulgences:
- Flying in the middle seat on a shitty low budget airline overnight flight and loving it because you don't have kids clawing all over you and saying your name 50 million times (Bonus: you can watch Netflix in peace)
- Running 10 miles in 89% humidity because that's guilt free time away from your incessantly bickering children
- Preparing dinners that you know your kids won't eat because, once they leave the table in disgust (and possibly with a banishment to their rooms if they rudely insult your cooking!), you get time to yourself
- Folding laundry in the basement that the kids deem "creepy" because they usually won't follow you down there
- Cutting the sad, brown heat-scorched grass after a two-week heat wave when it clearly doesn't need it because the kids are frightened of the lawn mower
- Getting your ass out the door to a 5:30 a.m. yoga class so you can lay in savansana instead of trying to hide in your bedroom at home
- Burping and grabbing your belly at bedtime, so you can tell the kids you need to hurry to the bathroom… “I’m SO sad I can't snuggle you tonight, but Mommy might throw up on you. Goodnight!”
- Three words that merit no explanation: Grocery. Shopping. Alone.
What’s your favorite #TreatYoSelf MOTY escape? Whatever it is, we hope you enjoy it! You deserve it. More than anyone else. More than your kids for damn sure.